It is a true honor and privilege to serve as your 2014 W.A.C.E. Chair. We have an outstanding Board of Directors and Executive Committee that are committed to taking our organization to the next level. Your volunteer leadership and excellent W.A.C.E. staff stand ready to work with you in accomplishing this in the coming year. Our number one goal is providing you with the education and information you need to continue to lead in business organizations within your communities.
We have set some exciting program priorities for the coming year that will assist all of us in advancing our chambers so we will continue to be this leader in our communities.
• Convening a Political Action Boot Camp April 11 in Phoenix
• Launching the Emerging Leaders Advisory Council. Giving new insight regarding industry trends and association programs
• Conducting several webinars throughout the year that will focus on helping our chambers to grow and provide value to our members
• Holding an Executive Leaders Roundtable on May 15 in Denver focusing on what the “Chamber of the Future” will look like
• Offering W.A.C.E. Academy which will be held August 3-6, 2014 in Sacramento providing a high-quality training program for chamber management
• Partnering with University of Oklahoma offering our Economic Development Essentials program in August
• Developing a rating system for all chambers working with our friends at ACCE and the US Chamber
• Planning for our Annual Conference February 4-6, 2015 at the Disneyland Hotel
As you can see, we have set an ambitious set of priorities for the coming year, and these are just the highlights! I hope you will take advantage of as many as your time will allow this year.
The Executive Committee, Board of Directors, along with Dave Kilby and his exceptional staff, and many other volunteers will be leading this charge. I would like to thank each and every one of them for what they do for our organization in keeping it vibrant, sustainable and innovators for our industry.
Your volunteer leadership understands we are here for you our members. Please let us know if there is something we are missing in our programs that will help your chamber grow and prosper. Following the lyrics of one of my favorite bands The Doobie Bothers, we are here to “Listen to the Music-YOUR MUSIC”! Please tell us what we are doing well and what we can do differently. We will do all we can to bring your music-new ideas to future board of directors meetings and to the staff at W.A.C.E. for advancement. After all, this is your organization.
By working together and being more engaged with one another, we will continue to make W.A.C.E. the premiere organization for education and professional development!
Steve Van Dorn, IOM
Santa Clara (CA) Chamber and Convention Visitors Bureau